The Broward Center for the Performing Arts in Fort Lauderdale, FL is seeking a creative and dynamic Teaching Artist for part-time, seasonal, freelance opportunities. We are looking for a qualified vocal musical theater teaching artist to teach singing in class weekly, facilitate workshops and provide arts instruction at the Broward Center. Classes are offered to students ages 4-years-old to adults. Please specify what fields(s) and age group(s) you are most qualified to teach. Promoting education is one of the core values of the Broward Center for the Performing Arts and an integral part of our mission. At the heart of our commitment is the belief that learning through the arts serves as a powerful tool for student achievement and personal development and provides people of all ages with the opportunity to cultivate and grow their talents and appreciation for the arts. The ideal candidate would possess the following:
• Professional vocal and musical theater experience and background in musical theater, vocal and theatrical pedagogy.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the music theater art form and a passion for teaching.
• Ability to teach vocal singing technique in a group setting.
• Piano skills-proficient enough to teach vocal parts using the piano.
• Focus on proper breath and posture, projection and diction, singing in tune and creating character in song.
• BA, BS or BFA degree in voice/piano/musical theater or 3+ years of training and experience working as a Teaching Artist.
• Strong collaborator-team teaching model with a director/choreographer.
• Knowledge of musical theater repertoire that is age and skill appropriate for student performers.
• Strong dedication to established work commitments.
• Ability to develop lesson plans and curriculum outlines for classes taught
• Commitment to providing high quality music/vocal instruction with focus on skills building and content.
• Ability to work evenings, night shifts, split shifts, week-ends, and some holidays.
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Resume highlighting both performing artist and arts education experience.
• Cover letter in which you define your philosophy of arts education, describe your personal teaching style and state 3-5 core objectives for your classes
Example of a lesson plan for a 50-minute class